Human Hair and Synthetic Wigs
All Elly-K’s wigs are made of top quality synthetic hair. Both human hair and synthetic hair have benefits and limitations. Neither one is ‘better’ — the right choice depends on your situation:
- How much time and effort you have to spend on caring for your new hair
- If your hair loss is temporary or permanent - if it's temporary, a synthetic wig may be the best choice
- Whichever you choose, you will look beautiful and well-groomed.
Human Hair Wigs
Human hair wigs will always have the most natural look and feel. They are very versatile — you can cut, style, or dye them as you wish. They tend to tangle less than synthetic hair.
These wigs are expensive, but long lasting – they can last more than a year of frequent use, with proper care.
Human hair wigs need specialised moisture-replacing shampoos and conditioners, because the hair is not moisturised by the natural oils of the scalp.
Daily styling is also needed. Some find this time-consuming, but others enjoy the ‘normality’ of the styling routine, and being able to change the style. Being human hair, these wigs are prone to frizzing or lankiness in humid conditions!
Is a human hair wig the best choice for you? The answer depends on your budget, and your lifestyle.
- The most natural looking
- Versatile - can be styled, cut, permed or coloured
- More durable and long-lasting than synthetic wigs
- Cap constructed with hair cuticles running in same direction, reducing tangling
- Higher price, due to careful collection and processing of hair
- More expensive than synthetic hair
- Requires more care, and must be shampooed, dried, conditioned and styled
- May frizz in humid conditions.
Synthetic Hair Wigs
Today’s synthetic wigs are technological marvels that look and feel almost exactly like human hair.
They are convenient – no need to style, just give them a shake, put them on, and go! The strands sit perfectly into place, whether the style is curly, wavy, or straight. Synthetic wigs look fabulous whatever the weather.
Synthetic wigs can not be re-styled, cut, or coloured. However, many cap constructions allow hair to be parted different ways, or worn back from the face. Also, their affordability means you may choose to own several different styles.
Most synthetic hair must be kept away from heat such as from hair dryers or ovens. However, heat-tolerant fibres are increasingly being developed.
Synthetic wigs are much more affordable than human hair wigs, but have a shorter life span – about 4 to 6 months, with optimal care.
- Also very natural looking
- Pre-styled – convenient, and ready to wear
- Low maintenance
- More affordable than human hair wigs
- Can be serviced to extend life and restore condition
- Colour and style cannot be changed, except for parting and wearing back from face
- Heat sensitive – must be kept clear of any heat source
- Less durable than human hair wigs — synthetic wigs last about a year.